Thursday, December 8, 2011

Video Games

" Open-Ended Video Games: A Model for Developing Learning for the Interactive Age" was an article that sparked my interest. Mainly because I grew up without playing many video games at home and in school so reading about how video games have been used as a way of learning was very interesting. One of the games that I do remember playing was Grand theft auto. My mother didn't allow me to play this game due to the crime scenes and violence. After reading this article I realized that learning was taking place and Honovi and friends were discussing important issues that arise all the time in society.
   As a future teacher, I wonder if video games will be an important component for learning to take place in my math classroom. Most kids don't need instructions to figure out how to play video games and I think it's something about these games that turn kids into phenomenal learners.
 I found this interesting video in which resembles something the article discusses on how learning resembles a process of coming to understanding a system, experimenting with multiple ways of being within that system, and then using that system for creative expression, usually enacted within communities of other players( Squire, 5). How would your schooling be different if you went to a school like this? 

No comments:

Post a Comment