Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Technology and Education!


This weeks readings made me think a lot about my future and the career path I am leading towards in the fields of Education and Technology. These two areas are constantly changing and who knows where the direction for education and technology will be in 25 years. For the past ten years my Educational experience with technology has changed significantly.
            I started using social software until my junior year in college. I was blogging the same way as I am doing in this class and I truly enjoyed it. I do agree with article “The strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats of using social software in higher and further education teaching and learning” that using social software such as blogging helped me reflect on learning and it allowed me to communicated with other students in the class as we were sharing our experiences and providing feedback.
            Social software doesn’t only have to support teaching and learning in higher Education and I think that it can be a great tool for Elementary and Secondary schools. Technology can be a great tool for Education but if it is not implemented correctly then what use does it have in the classrooms? I recently just saw my cousin who is in the 5th grade and I saw her on blogger.com. I asked her since when did she have a blog and she told me that her class had to write about topics and ideas they discuss in whether it’d be on math, science, language arts, and social studies. I asked her what she thought about it and she said that she was learning from her other peers in class and connecting with her teacher outside of school. Does anyone see anything wrong from it? As a future math teacher who sees the good in blogs, I also believe that students still need that face-to-face communication and interaction. These Emerging technologies provide unlimited possibilities for exciting new discoveries and developments, will you be ready in 25 years from now to help meet the needs of these students?


I found this video and I was beyond amazed at this little boy. 


2 comments:

  1. Jennifer, I discovered this video the other day. I thought it was crazy. I can't believe a sixth grader can do all that. I'm having enough trouble as it is learning Java. I definitely agree with you in terms of how schools and classes should move to this area of technology in terms of blogging. It is obvious this online activity is being used to benefit the students. It should be regulated in a way, that younger students should use services in school that will benefit themselves, not distraction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your post and video Jenifer!
    I was blown away by Thomas Suarez. Geez, I think I am a little intimidated for the first time because of how advanced and talented kids are and might become in the future. Your last question "will you be ready in 25 years from now to help meet the needs of these students?" after watching this video has a TOTALLY NEW meaning to me now...If I have students like Thomas, I know I sure will NOT be ready in 25 years to lead these kids, heck, I won't be even ready now!

    ReplyDelete